[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Brian Kloppenborg bkloppenborg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:19:32 EDT 2011

Greetings,

I have just recently joined the AstroPy listserv and am very happy to
hear there is an effort to create a unified library for
astronomy/astrophysics.  I openly welcome such a task and will be happy
to contribute time coding the routines.

I am, however, a little concerned that the current vision statement
seems to exclude the use of existing officially sanctioned (i.e. by the
IAU) routines that are written in other languages.

For instance, the Standards of Fundamental Astronomy
(http://www.iausofa.org/) package contains IAU-sanctioned routines for
very common tasks (Calendards, Time Scales, Sidereal times, Ephemerids,
star motion, star catalog conversion, etc).  This package is written in
C and is quite easily wrapped using SWIG (see the pysofa package
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pysofa).  If the interface layer is
implemented correctly, the function calls have minimal overhead and, in
some circumstances, can benefit from being implemented in lower-level
languages.

A quick example would be a general purpose library for common tasks in
optical interferometry, in particular image reconstruction.  The code
uses OpenCL which can leverage multiple CPUs and/or multiple GPUs to
speed up the most time consuming tasks.  I've consistently demonstrated
a 243x speed up over traditional CPU methods using the GPU and I really
don't want to rewrite this in Python for inclusion in astropy.

Is there room for using libraries that are endorsed by a high-level
governing body but that are written in other languages as a basis for
some of astropy?  With the use of SWIG and official routines we could
get (1) rapid development, (2) officially sanctioned routines that we
don't have to debug/maintain, and (3) an interface to a well-developed
package that we could enforce through the interface layer.  Clearly the
detriment is that we would need to keep the packages in sync.  This is a
common release problem in the programming world and has existing
solutions though.

Thank you for your consideration,
Brian