[AstroPy] Deployment and packaging

Chris Sontag sontag at stsci.edu
Wed Jun 15 11:46:21 EDT 2011

Since PyRAF is coming up in this discussion, I thought I would clarify a technical point that many of you may know, but that may not be obvious to others.

At installation time, PyRAF has no dependency on IRAF.  PyRAF can even be run without IRAF.  True, most of the things you want to do in PyRAF will not work without IRAF, but STScI is actually working on a few that do (e.g. multidrizzle).

I just thought it should be clarified, concerning installation time dependencies.  This will become more important as more IRAF parts are replaced with Python versions.

Chris