[AstroPy] Plan to port astropy to python3?

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:43:43 EDT 2011

We'd be interested in getting APLpy working in Python 3, but pyfits and pywcs are crucial dependencies, so we'll have to wait until those are ported to make the move. ATpy should already work in Python 3, but FITS and VO I/O isn't supported because of the pyfits and vo dependencies. In the end, one could argue that it's up to us to support Python 3 soon, because there won't be a large astronomy user base in Python 3 until we do (otherwise it's a vicious circle). The fact that numpy/scipy/matplotlib have moved means we should probably start thinking about it too.

Cheers,
Thomas