[AstroPy] Coding Guidelines draft (comments encouraged)

Taro Sato ubutsu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:24:47 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe at stsci.edu> wrote:
> With regard to: "C extensions will be allowed only when the provide a
> significant performance enhancement over pure python. When C extensions are
> used, the python interface must meet interface guidelines, and the use of
> Cython is strongly recommended."

What about weave?  I've fallen in love with using inline C codes for
the obvious performance advantage when the stock NumPy/SciPy routines
don't cut it...  just for quick and tiny hacks and such.  It's much
less cumbersome than writing full blown C extensions for small tasks.

It's probably not particularly elegant or good for maintenance
purposes.  But the interfaces can of course remain Pythonic.

Taro