[AstroPy] Coding Guidelines draft (comments encouraged)

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Mon Jul 11 11:37:21 EDT 2011

On 7/10/11 1:39 AM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> http://astropy.wikispaces.com/Astropy+Coding+Guidelines
>
> Feel free to ask questions about or comment on any of these items.

It looks pretty mature already.  Here are various comments:

----

"
# The package should be importable with no dependencies other than the
Python Standard Library (v2.6), NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib, and components
already in the core Astronomy library."

    *

I was wondering which "Astronomy" library this refers to and what part
is "core".

I think it means "core Astropy", and I think later it defines "core
Astropy" as any package that has already been accepted into astropy as
astropy.whatever;  If this is correct, I recommend "in the core
Astronomy library" -> "already in the Astropy package".

----

I recommend that the template package include some small amount of C
code and the Cython example for how to use it.

I note that the Cython recommendation implies an additional external
dependency for somebody.  Is this for anybody who installs Astropy from
source, or is it a preprocessor that you only run occasionally like
yacc/lex?

----

"

    * If an external C library is needed, the source code for the
      library should be bundled with the astropy core. Additionally, the
      package must be compatible with using a system-installed library
      instead of the version included in astropy."

add "... using the mechanism shown in the template package."

We want everybody to provide the same flags, same interface, etc, so we
show one way to do it and ask everybody to do it that way.

----

If you want to require PEP 8, I suggest that you make your examples PEP
8 compliant.

----

I think we should explicitly recommend the new relative import mechanism
any time you import another module/package that is in the same package
you are part of.

Say, for example, that you want to debug a package and you would like to
run both the original and a modified copy at the same time.  With
relative imports, you don't need to edit every import line in the whole
package to make your modified copy.

This is not compliant with PEP 8, which recommends the bad practice of
always using absolute imports.  It made sense when relative imports were
ambiguous, but the Python language no longer has that particular weakness.

----

The property/get/set example is weak:  1) Take out the functions that
are not relevant to get/set; you don't need them cluttering the
example.  2) Show a user interacting with the object:

     x = star()

     # use this
     x.color = 100
     print x.color

     # not this
     x.set_color(100)
     print x.get_color()

Realistically, I think people are likely to want to use the
get_color()/set_color() approach because it is more natural.  It also
makes it more clear what is happening.  I know that hard core OO guys
think properties are cool, but I've never seen the attraction myself.

----

The super() example actually shows more instances of doing it the wrong
way than the right way, and it does not clearly mark which one to use.

It should show one complete implementation using super() [marked "don't
do this"] and another complete implementation using direct calls [marked
"do this"].

One of the common cases for wanting to call into the superclass is to
invoke the __init__() method.  The example should show how to do this,
including the case of multiple inheritance.

----

In the "import *" example, "__init__" is shown as "init" (two places).
It looks like it needs a wiki escape.