[AstroPy] EPD Free

Matt Davis mrdavis at stsci.edu
Fri Jul 8 23:05:42 EDT 2011

A new option for non-academic users to get the analytic Python basics. This will probably be useful (http://enthought.com/products/epd_free.php):

OUR NEW LIGHTWEIGHT DISTRIBUTION OF SCIENTIFIC PYTHON ESSENTIALS:
SCIPY<http://www.scipy.org/>, NUMPY<http://numpy.scipy.org/>, IPYTHON<http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/>, MATPLOTLIB<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/>, TRAITS<http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/>, & CHACO<http://code.enthought.com/projects/chaco/>

EPD Free provides a free, cross-platform installer of six of the libraries we consider fundamental for scientists, engineers, and analysts. It is perfect for:

  *   Beginners who seek a simple but powerful Python stack
  *   Developers who want to distribute a small, reliable environment for their applications
  *   Anyone can (using the enpkg<http://enthought.com/products/update.php> command) quickly install any of th 10,000+ libraries from our Python Package Index<http://pypi.python.org/pypi> build mirror without the pain of manually building them

$ enpkg <package name>