[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Prasanth oneaufs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 02:19:21 EDT 2011

Hello,

> Are you proposing that I must agree to the SOFA terms
> of use (which are more restrictive than GPL or BSD licensing) before I
> can use Astropy?

I think that the SOFA license and terms of use are much more liberal than
GPL. The only requirement is that the developer retains the copyright
notice, and none of the derived components carry the prefix "iau". It can be
used for commercial purposes. Also, I couldn't find anything in the SOFA
license that prevents a developer from even making a closed source
application.

Prasanth