[AstroPy] Why Python for Astronomy?

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 3 09:54:31 EDT 2010

(This bounced with a permanent error, so I'm trying again 24 hours later.)
I've been thinking of offering a 2-3 hour introductory class in Python
for people interested in astronomy. To be specific, it's a large pretty
serious amateur astronomy group called Society of Astronomical Science
(SAS), which meets annually in Big Bear, Calif. They usually have the
day prior to the conference reserved for 3-4 classes, e.g., photometry,
spectroscopy, astronomy software methods, ..., etc. Of late, they have
had their conference occasionaly with AAVSO, and expect that to be next
year or 2012.  Has the Python astronomy section, if it exists, written a
short description of the usefulness of Python in astronomy? If so, I'd
like to reference it in a proposal for a Python class in the next year
or so at their conference.

              According to a very recent article in USA Today, 47%
              of households and individual do not pay federal taxes.
              In better times, it's about 38%. It's allowed under
              present laws. Google USA Today "when 47% don't"

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>