[AstroPy] Python interface for querying Vizier?

Marshall Perrin mperrin at ucla.edu
Mon Jun 21 19:53:19 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Is there a recommended strategy for accessing the Vizier catalog service from within Python?  Some equivalent to IDL's queryvizier.pro would be great, though of course a more Pythonesque object interface would be even better. Has anyone taken a stab at creating something like this? Or is there something in the VO toolkit that can do this sort of thing but that I don't know about? (I confess it seems hard for a relative outsider to the VO community to keep track of what's actually been built there so far...)

Thanks in advance,

 - Marshall