[AstroPy] Summer scholar

Wolfgang Kerzendorf wkerzendorf at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 31 09:40:48 EDT 2010

  Hi,

So I think I might have to clarify the summer-scholar idea a little.
When they arrive these students are often no or only novice programmers.
They also often come from a Windows background  and will spend two weeks
or so getting used to the command-line. I understand that a wavelet
analysis tool would be very useful for many astronomers, but I think far
too complex for such a summer-scholarship. Maybe a good idea for a
Google Summer of Code project.

It is my belief that we need a project with phases. So that depending on
the students skill, there's a finishing line.  The student also needs a
clear idea of the project path, which could be outlined in a wiki style
document.
The idea that Rene suggested with sextractor got me thinking.

Phase I:
We could have a function that finds stars in an image. It would not do
photometry, but just find stars. We could model what sextractor does in
this respect closely.  This would also have nice byproducts like a
background fitting routine.

Phase II:
If the student manages to do the star finding, we can try to identify
stars in the image. We can use the Groth/Stetson algorithm using
triangles: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1986AJ.....91.1244G

Phase III:
If we get this far, we could try to fit a wcs to it, maybe. I think
that's very ambitious and so I am pretty sure the student would not get
that far.

So I think this is doable, but I'm not sure. What are people's thoughts
on this?
Cheers
     Wolfgang