[AstroPy] Python Books for Beginners?

Rick Wagner rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 5 13:13:26 EST 2010

Hi Kelle,

For myself, I found "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz [1] to be very useful
as a beginning programmer doing a summer research fellowship. I think it's
an excellent balance between introducing the language and technical depth.

--Rick

[1] http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596158071

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for book recommendations for beginning programmers starting
> with
> Python.  Think undergrads first programming project.  I see lots of
> possibilities on Amazon, but does anybody have any experience with them?
> While we're at it, any other books you'd recommend having around the lab?
> I'm tempted just to get a couple of the O'Reilly ones just because.
>
> (btw, I tried to search the archives for this mailing list, but I was
> unsuccessful...is there a search page that I missed?)
>
> Thanks!
> kelle
>
> --
> Kelle Cruz, PhD
> http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~kelle/
> 424.645.1334

Rick Wagner, Graduate Student Researcher
UCSD Physics
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA  92093-0424
Email:  rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu