[AstroPy] Problem running pywcs example

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Thu Aug 19 09:23:48 EDT 2010

On 08/18/2010 03:56 PM, Peter Erwin wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> It looks like what happened is that *was* an earlier version of pywcs hiding
> in /Users/erwin/lib/python [as opposed to
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6 ,
> which is where pywcs 1.9 got installed].  Possibly it got installed as part of
> an earlier installation of stsci_python ...
>
> Anyway, I nuked the earlier installation, and now pywcs seems to work.
>

> Am I missing something, or does the documentation for pywcs mention anywhere what
> "sky coordinates" actually means (i.e., allowed formats, types, order, etc.?).

The order is described in the wcs_sky2pix docstring:

"""

Either two or three arguments may be provided.

        * 2 arguments: An /N/ x /naxis/ array of /x/- and
          /y/-coordinates, and an /origin/.
        * 3 arguments: 2 one-dimensional arrays of /x/ and /y/
          coordinates, and an /origin/.

"""

As for types, it may be any numeric type (and the underlying
calculations are performed in doubles).

> (From my experiments so far, I'm guessing that the output of WCS.wcs_pix2sky()
> for a single pair of pixel coordinates is [[Dec, RA]], with both in decimal degrees...?)

The fact that it's decimal degrees is somewhat buried (in the
description of the lower-level wcslib functions.)  I will move this
information up to the higher-level functions -- and that should make it
into the next version of the docs.

Mike