[AstroPy] Summer scholar

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:18:46 EDT 2010

I definitely agree that scipy.ndimage needs some work... but a
re-write/fixup is probably a perfect Google Summer of Code project...
then hopefully whomever ended up as the mentor could then take
responsibility as the maintainer even if they didn't have time to
really dig into the code as much as the student would.

Also, regarding Rene's suggestions: Those are definitely usefule
tasks, and re-writing astrolib functions is a straightforward way to
have a well-defined task, but for a physics student (which likely
means no IDL background), that requires learning two languages.
that's a pretty big lead-up to getting anything really at all done...
and is it really a good idea  to spoil a fresh new student's mind by
forcing them to first learn IDL before python :) ?

It does depend on the student, but for something with a decent
algorithmic description (e.g. daophot, for which the papers pretty
much say it all), it might be better to define a task, and then let
the student do it from the ground up in a more pythonic fashion.  By
that I mean both the improvements Rene described that are available
using numpy tricks, as well as following python constructs
(object-oriented, proper exceptions, etc) instead of being tied to an
IDL-style function-calls-only way of thinking.

I would also point out, for those that are interested, that there is
groundwork already in place for PSF and aperture photometry in
astropysics (in the phot module -
http://packages.python.org/Astropysics/coremods/phot.html).  Not much
of it is really in a generically workable state yet, but many of the
pieces (background estimation, PSF model classes, an object-oriented
pipeline for ccdproc tasks, etc) are in place.  It mostly needs to be
put together and polished, so maybe that's a task for a summer
student, either within astopysics itself, or using those as a starting
point...

Erik Tollerud