[AstroPy] pyregion : python parser for ds9 region files

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Tue Oct 20 11:25:55 EDT 2009

Hi JJ,

> Yes. what I wanted is to create regions files using ds9 and display
> them with matplotlib.
> For the ximtool part, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I wonder
> if ximtool itself can handle ds9 region files. However, if you're
> talking about manipulating ds9 with something like numdisplay, you can
> simply use ds9's xpa protocol.

I think ximtool only understands the IIS protocol spoken by both it
and DS9; XPA is a DS9-specific thing. I was just thinking out loud
that it would be nice to have a way to display overlays in either
program using Matplotlib commands (but even if you'd be interested
in that, it's hard to predict right now whether we'd need it enough
to work on it).

Cheers,

James.