[AstroPy] pyfits: reading fits data problem

Guillaume Blanc blanc at apc.univ-paris7.fr
Tue May 26 05:47:05 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm new to python and I'm trying to use pyfits, to read some table
data, but if it's work fine on test files, it doesn't work on my file,
and I don't understand why, since I can read it using fv. Pyfits gives
me an error (see below).
Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Guillaume

Here is the python file:
-----------------
import pyfits
import numpy
hdulist = pyfits.open('spec10.fits')
print hdulist.info()
print "HEADER = ", hdulist[0].header
scidata = hdulist[0].data
print "DATA = " , scidata
---------------

Below is the output; file spec10.fits can be downloaded from: http://snovae.free.fr/ftp/spec10.fits
Note that I don't understand the first warning, since file size is
123840 bytes. I don't understand either the error on hdulist.data...

---------------
% python plotspec.py
Warning: File may have been truncated: actual file length (123840) is
smaller than the expected size (184320)
Filename: spec10.fits
No.    Name         Type      Cards   Dimensions   Format
0    PRIMARY     PrimaryHDU      15  (4975, 3)     int32
None
HEADER =  SIMPLE  =                    T /

BITPIX  =                   32 /

NAXIS   =                    2 /

NAXIS1  =                 4975 /

NAXIS2  =                    3 /

BSCALE  =   6.240186520248E-07 /

BZERO   =       79.45127590903 /

DATE    = '18/05/09 10:45:08 ' /

CRVAL1  =       3.544000040919 /

CD1_1   =   9.999998959014E-05 /

Z       =       2.532511414828 /

MAG_G   =       21.39270563646 /

DECDEG  =       888.0000000000 /

RADEG   =       1878.000000000 /

COMMENT  Mock Horizon spectrum

14925 items requested but only 0 read
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plotspec.py", line 10, in <module>
   scidata = hdulist[0].data
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5.2001/lib/
python2.5/site-packages/pyfits/NP_pyfits.py", line 3189, in __getattr__
   raw_data.shape=dims
ValueError: total size of new array must be unchanged