[AstroPy] numpy; bulk coordinate conversions

Victoria G. Laidler laidler at stsci.edu
Thu May 11 12:52:25 EDT 2006

Hi Andrew,

We are just about to release version 0.2 of the AstroLib coords package.

http://www.scipy.org/AstroLibCoordsHome

It uses Jeff Percival's TPM (Telescope Pointing Machine) software to do the
actual coordinate transformations. I've coded up a Python interface for the
most common sets (J2000, B1950, galactic, ecliptic), and there's a hook for
direct access to TPM if you need something more complex.

TPM is in C; the coords package is pure Python, and uses numarray as
its array package.

It's not optimized for handling large numbers of coordinates, but that was
indeed on our list to think about next. So it would be useful to have a
real-life
use case to help direct that development.

cheers,
Vicki Laidler