[AstroPy] A simple python module, wrapping pytfits+matplotlib: fits I/O + graphic/display environment

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri May 5 11:46:52 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 6:56 PM, James Turner wrote:
> If you would rather work with FITS files, I'm guessing it's for one of
> three (good) reasons: 1) you want to save all your intermediate results
> to disk, 2) you need to propagate headers, variance extensions etc.,

Note that 2) is a common desire, but think about how easy it is in
practice. When presented with two headers with conflicting header info,
which does one use, the first,  or some combination when adding two
fits files? This is always much harder to do well in practice. Given
the complex arrangements FITS files can have, I have my doubts about
this being a really useful reason outside of doing very simple things
(in essence, saying that one doesn't care that much about what is in
the headers or how different entities are related in fits files)

Perry Greenfield