[AstroPy] Re: functional interface for PyFITS?

Andrew Ptak ptak at pha.jhu.edu
Tue Mar 22 21:29:23 EST 2005

Right, I just was mentioning that there was existing usage of the bracket
approach, even though to some it seemed ridiculous, and some very minute
population might expect it if it were allowed by the fits specification.
Of course anyone using pyfits would be able to use whatever is adopted
without any problem.  Maybe something actually worth discussing (and I
remember some traffic along these lines a little while back, plus I only
skimmed the initial posts on this) is to what extent to emulate idlastro.
Many astronomers coming over to python will be doing so from IDL and
that library.  It would be cool to be able to run the following:
data =  readfits(filename, h, ext=1)
n = sxpar(h, "naxis2")
x = tbget(h, data, "x")
y = tbget(h, data, "y")