[AstroPy] Re: functional interface for PyFITS?: foo.fits[2]

Nor npirzkal at eso.org
Tue Mar 22 14:25:52 EST 2005

>  Please, let's not pollute this
> package with all the bad examples we can find from all the other code
> in the world.  That will make it totally unusable.  Save that stuff
> for compatibility functions.

That is certainly overstating the case a bit too much. I was happy to
see Perry was considering a more pragmatic approach to using pyfits to
read and write FITS files. I thought we were trying to talk about a set
of high level functions to get things done faster within our current
work frameworks, and not start defining what proper FITS filenames
should be. Frankly, as a user, I could not care less. I am just looking
for a set of functions to allow me to use pyfits using single line
commands instead of multiple lines of codes, and that could easily be
useable within pyraf and pyraf scripts. This is actually why I often
continue to use pcfitsio. I suspect that this is how most users would
perceive this issue and why many of my collaborators see pyfits as too
cumbersome to use.
Let me ask a simple question: how many files do you currently have on
your hard disk with [1] or [2] at the end of their file name? Maybe we
should start allowing unicode in filenames too? :-) (yes, I am joking).

Anyway, these were my $0.02, feel free to do what you want with them
... It is clear that we will not agree, isn't it... :-)