[AstroPy] Python version of IDL Astron library

Paul Barrett barrett at stsci.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:09:37 EDT 2004

<x-flowed>
Dear Astro-pythoneers,

As part of my functional duties at STScI, I have been tasked with developing a
Python version of the IDL Astron Library, at least the most relevant parts of
it. I began with a rewrite of the IDLDB module last winter, however I have not
been able to complete it due to other higher priority projects, namely
matplotlib development and CALSTIS maintainance.  While at the SciPy 2004
Conference at CalTech last week (Sep 2-3), Lee Rottler and Joe Harrington
suggested that a good mechanism to get astronomers to migrate from IDL to Python
would be a Python version of the IDL Astron library .  After further discussion,
it was decided that I would solicit help from the AstroPy community and would
coordinate such a project.

The IDL Astronomy User's Library (http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/contents.html)
web page lists 18 software categories, however in my opinion, only 8 of them
have functions or procedures that are of current interest to astronomers and
have not already been duplicated by other Python modules.  The FITS procedures
are a good example, since most, if not all, of this functionality is duplicated
in the pyfits module.  I have identified the following categories as requiring
attention:

  o Astronomical Utilities
  o DAOPHOT-Type Photometry Procedures
  o Database Procedures
  o Disk I/O (MIDAS, IRAF files)
  o Image Manipulation
  o Math and Statistics
  o Robust Statistics Procedures
  o Miscellaneous (Non-Astronomy) Procedures

I have refrained from listing the procedures in each category, since there are a
large number of them.  Instead, I will add a page to the AstroPy web site in the
next few days, if there is sufficient interest in the project by the AstroPy
community.  I do not expect developers to devote are large percentage of their
time to this project, unless they want to of course, but to contribute two or
three procedures that are of interest to them over the next year.  I will
coordinate the integration of these procedures into a Python package and check
that the necessary documentation and test code has been included.

Any takers?

  -- Paul

--
Paul Barrett, PhD      Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475    ESS/Science Software Branch