[AstroPy] Integrating an image viewer?

Russell E Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 2 14:08:03 EST 2004

At 5:59 PM +0100 2004-11-29, Stefano Covino wrote:
So...before I get too deeply into this quagmire, I was wondering if
folks had any suggestions? Something fairly sane to install and
preferably that doesn't require writing an image viewer from scratch.

I don't have technical info. Anyway, I would suggest to try with ESO's SkyCat.

It does look interesting. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to build
BLT (a required Tk extension) on MacOS X so I can't check it out in
detail. Maybe for the future (e.g. when a newer BLT comes out).

Meanwhile I've decided to make my own image viewer. I've gotten a
reasonable way into it. The basics all work. I still need support for
drawing lines and such, and having them redrawn correctly when the
zoom factor is changed and want a few other refinements. It'll be
part of the RO package when it's finished (in fact a preliminary
version is already included as of yesterday).

-- Russell