[AstroPy] Short survey on behavior of multi-dimensional arrays

Steve Spicklemire steve at spvi.com
Fri Mar 2 10:30:09 EST 2001

Hi Paul,

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Barrett <Barrett at stsci.edu> writes:

    Paul>                              Questionaire

    Paul> Q1. Given the following Python code:

    >>> A = array([11, 12, 13])
    >>> B = A[:]
    >>> A[0] = 1

    Paul>     What is B[0] and why?

B[0] is 1. Since you didn't 'copy' the array, the slice makes a new list
with references to the original data. I think Numeric is conservative this way
to minimize memory use when dealing with large slices on large arrays
where you really just want to have a new 'coordinate' system, but don't need
a separate copy of the array. If you want a separate copy.. use 'copy = 1'.

    Paul> Q2. Given the following Python code:

    >>> A = array([[11, 12, 13], [21, 22, 23], [31, 32, 33]])
    >>> B = A[0]
    >>> A[0] = [1, 2, 3]

    Paul>     Again, what is B[0] and why?

B[0] is 1. Same reason.

    Paul> Q3. Given the following Python code:

    >>> A = array([11.0, 12.0, 13.0], Float32)
    >>> B = 2.0*A

I think this was the cause of *much* debate, but the result
is a 'd' array rather than the expected 'f' array. I think the
idea here was to promote to the higher precision unless both
objects involved were the same precision.

-steve

    Paul>     What type is B and why?

    Paul>     (Note that real numbers in Python are internally stored
    Paul> as double precision floating-point numbers.)

This is a short survey on some behavioral aspects of multi-dimensional
arrays.  Please take the time to complete this survey and send your
results back to me: Paul Barrett <barrett at stsci.edu>.  Please don't
hesitate to contact me if you need clarification on one or more
questions or have questions of your own that you would like answered.

Cheers,
Paul

                             Questionaire

Q1. Given the following Python code:

    >>> A = array([11, 12, 13])
    >>> B = A[:]
    >>> A[0] = 1

    What is B[0] and why?

Q2. Given the following Python code:

    >>> A = array([[11, 12, 13], [21, 22, 23], [31, 32, 33]])
    >>> B = A[0]
    >>> A[0] = [1, 2, 3]

    Again, what is B[0] and why?

Q3. Given the following Python code:

    >>> A = array([11.0, 12.0, 13.0], Float32)
    >>> B = 2.0*A

    What type is B and why?

    (Note that real numbers in Python are internally stored as double
    precision floating-point numbers.)

Dr. Paul Barrett       Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475    ESS/Science Software Group
FAX:   410-338-4767    Baltimore, MD 21218
http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/~bridgman/AstroPy/