[AstroPy] Module suggestions?

Norbert Pirzkal npirzkal at hq.eso.org
Tue Aug 24 13:55:09 EDT 1999

ptak at snooker.phys.cmu.edu wrote:

> I would like to see a pure-Python FITS header keyword reading module.  The
> last time I checked, PyFITS used some C code.  Some problems I am
> interested in only require the values of some keywords (like the total
> number of counts, often in TOTCTS), and full-fledged fits i/o is overkill.
>
> BTW, right now I am debugging a fairly large Python application that does
> 2-D fitting of images, optionally including a PSF (and it can generate
> PSF images on the fly for ROSAT).  It is modeled after the X-ray spectral
> tool XSPEC, particularly in the sense that it allows using the C statistic
> for fitting of images with small numbers of counts/pixel.  I have played
> around with fitting models to optical images (using chi^2 in that case).
> Another interesting feature is that a mask image can be read in to exclude
> parts of the images from the fitting, and model parameters can be tied to
> each other. It uses the Numeric and fftw modules, and a C++ fits image
> library.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy Ptak

I have a working read/write pure python header access code if you are
interested. I am planning to release a pure python version that handles
fits images within a few weeks. The header stuff is running already and
is being tested right now. Let me know if you want to have an early look
at what I have...

		Cheers,
		Nor