[python-advocacy] Python popularity at Project Euler

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Dec 3 17:32:10 CET 2010

I'm  not 100% sure how to interpret the rankings, but at
http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=statistics, it looks like of
the people who submitted solutions for Project Euler problems, Python is
the 2nd most popular language, behind C/C++ (which they lump into a
single category).  By eye, it looks like:

13327 C/C++
11929 Python
7864  Java
4225  C#
2558  Haskell
2276  Ruby

then a long tail after that.

What's surprising here is the big spread between Python and Ruby, since
overall the two seem to track more closely in popularity.  I'm guessing
it's a domain-specific thing.  Python is more for the math folks, Ruby
more for web?  I suspect that would also explain Haskell's relatively
high ranking.