[python-advocacy] Why another language?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 00:33:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:19:41 -0400, Noah Gift wrote:

> If someone has been programming in C,
> Bash and Perl for years, how can you really make a persuasive argument
> they also need to learn Python.  I suppose I would argue that once you
> program in Python, you won't ever want to use another language again,
> but that is my personal bias.  What is our, or "the", answer for
> someone that poses a very reasonable question like this?

Whenever I hear about Python being used for tasks that are traditionally
performed by Perl and Bash, I think of the Pardus Linux project:

http://pardus.org.tr/eng/index.html

Although we're not necessarily talking about the same kinds of tasks as
those performed by sysadmins on a day-to-day basis, the following links
might be worth looking at:

http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/projects/comar/PythonInPardus.html
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/projeler/comar/SpeedingUpLinuxWithPardus.html

David