[python-advocacy] Second-Term Status Report for Python Advocacy

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:52:35 CEST 2007

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the long delay in replying to this. Better late than never, in my
opinion.

Screencasts
> ===========
>
> One aspect of the work for this term was to develop content resources that
> can
> be used to spread the word about Python.  One form this took is
> screencasts,
> in cooperation with the showmedo.com website.  Here is a list of those I
> produced, with the date of creation and the number of views recorded on
> the
> showmedo.com website so far.

<snip>

I think these are a great resource. People will continue to stumble across
these for a long time. They have persistent value and as such make a good
addition to the resource base.

Usergroups
> ==========
>
> Another focus of this advocacy term was to strengthen usergroups.  I've
> helped
> several to form, and to support them I subscribe to their lists, help
> where I
> can and encourage the organizers.

Is there any particular thing which is contributing to usergroup success or
failure?

> Python Unconference
> ===================
>
> The first Python Unconference (that I know of) will take place in Houston
> Sep
> 15-16.  I'll blog about the results when I return.

This should be past now, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

My ideas continue to run ahead of my abilities, as I'm sure they do for all
> of
> us.  I'd hoped to do more for advocacy than I have but believe I have some
> good results to show as well.

I'd agree with that. Definitely some good results.

I continue to be unable to inspire much participation by others, a failing
> of
> mine as well as part of the job.  The two lists most related to advocacy,
> advocacy at python.org and group-organizers at python.org remain excessively
> quiet,
> and my attempts to get the edu-sig community to contribute to advocacy
> have
> not found much traction.  My real concern with this is whether others will
> carry on the advocacy steps we've put in place once I leave the office.

Yeah, I don't see much by way of a grassroots movement either. I see the
same thing in The Python Papers. I've always seen TPP as a tool for advocacy
also, or at least for community-building which is a related concept. If the
money were available, I could see a real argument for paying three or four
really talented people to focus on Python marketing projects. Unfortunately,
I believe that a task like co-ordinating advocacy (or indeed running a
magazine) is something that needs a *lot* of time spent on it building
relationships and doing the hard work. I am not sure that such a task lends
itself to a leaderless model. I think that Python could really benefit from
some individuals to go out there and sell it to organisations, major groups
and so forth. Python needs to get more mind-share from people currently
outside the Python community, especially in business. Yes, I know there are
a lot of success stories, but there is really no business portal to Python.
There is not a lot there in academia, major software magazines or business
journals which promote the use of Python. I think all of that will take a
lot more than people's spare hours.

Toward the Future
> =================
>
> Should the board be open to the idea, I would like to continue for one
> last 6-month term (Sep 15 - Mar 15), bringing us to a final report and
> closure
> at PyCon 2008.  During that term I propose to continue work on the
> following
> tasks:
>
> 1. get citation of Forrester survey onto website and into news stream
> 2. produce more screencasts and draw others into doing so as well.
> 3. work with the PR firm potentially being hired for PyCon to see what
>     opportunities exist for promoting Python in general
> 4. write the whitepapers listed on my second-term proposal
>
> On the other hand, if the board decides I've had my shot, I thank you and
> will
> contribute as my time permits to advocacy efforts.  Or if there is someone
> else bubbling with ideas on how to get others involved who wants to step
> into
> the advocacy coordinator position, I'd be glad to play a supporting role.

I think *somebody* needs to be the advocacy co-ordinator, or marketing
manager, or business liaison officer. If Python could have more paid-up
professionals, I think this would very quickly pay for itself in increased
coverage.

Jeff, I think you're a perfectly good somebody for the job. The screencasts
are a huge achievement, especially since ShowMeDo is a website with exposure
beyond the Python world.

Cheers,
-T