[python-advocacy] [python] Re: The python way to write web applications

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue Oct 16 08:31:55 CEST 2007

Op zondag 14-10-2007 om 14:18 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Michael
Foord:
> For all the Javascript scaremongering it can be used to create
> extremely intuitive and responsive web applications that stand head
> and shoulders above their predecessors.

Well, I just discovered that apparently one of the most-used "WYSIWYG"
editors written in JavaScript uses non-documented & non-standard stuff,
that has been removed from Gecko 1.9 (Firefox 3.x), resulting in all of
the sites using it to fail (except, if you're lucky, sometimes it works
if you _disable_ JavaScript).  I won't be surprised if a lot of other
"AJAX" stuff would have the same issues.

> I'm afraid that users without Javascript are in an ever decreasing
> minority and despite there being plenty of horror stories the growth
> of powerful Javascript toolkits have led to a vastly 'richer' web.

Actually, I see more and more people who use Firefox extension like
NoScript.

(But of course statistics derived from the logs of AJAX-heavy sites will
show that most people have JavaScript enabled...)

--
Jan Claeys