[python-advocacy] Ubuntu and Python

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Jun 4 18:05:41 CEST 2007

David Boddie wrote:
> On Mon Jun 4 06:49:00 CEST 2007, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
>> I just saw this:
>>
>> "Ubuntu prefers the community to contribute work in Python. We develop our
>> own tools and scripts in Python and it's much easier for us to integrate
>> your work if you use the same platform."
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/developerzone/bounties
>>
>> I have been working with Ubuntu for over two years, and didn't realize
>> Python was "it."
>
> Well, strictly speaking, I don't think that Python is "it" in that sentence,
> but I know what you mean. :-)

that's all that really matters :)

> Some GNU/Linux distributions take their use of Python even further:
>
>   http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/index.html
>   http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/projects/comar/PythonInPardus.html

"Python is also used almost everywhere in Pardus, from startup system to user
interfaces. This wasn't intentional. We started using Python in a few places for
rapid development, however while most of the core developers learned Python
after joining the project, the use of Python spread almost every areas of Pardus
development."

That story seems so much more common than "we evaluated various languages and
picked Python."

I wonder how often the story is "we evaluated and picked X" as opposed to
"somehow we ended up using X and liked it"

Carl K