Data Platforms Engineer
London, London, United Kingdom
Job TitleData Platforms Engineer
We are recruiting for a Data Platforms Engineer
Nesta’s Data Science Practice is looking for a Data Platform Engineer to join our team. Working closely with Nesta’s Data Engineering, Data Science and Design and Technology teams, the Data Platform Engineer will play a key role in scoping, designing and developing data platforms to boost the impact of the data we hold. This will include working with data scientists, analysts and other data users across the Nesta group to identify their needs, and implementing solutions to improve their capabilities in areas such as access, scale and robustness.
As well as existing data platform engineers, this role may suit data scientists and engineers with strong development skills, or research software engineers with data skills.
- Opportunity Spotting: Identify areas across the organisation where data platforms can add value, and design solutions to address these needs.
- Platform Development: Craft state-of-the-art data platforms, ensuring their scalability, performance, and reliability.
- Platform Deployment: Deploy platforms to suitable environments (e.g. cloud services) and implement maintenance strategies to ensure stability.
- Collaboration: Work closely with data scientists, data engineers, analysts and other stakeholders to integrate cutting-edge tools and techniques to improve the scale and robustness of their work.
- Communication: Understand and articulate trade-offs between different solutions and discuss these with relevant stakeholders to decide pragmatically between a range of options, taking into account factors such as quality, timeliness and impact.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay updated with the latest trends in data and software engineering to drive the evolution of our platforms.
The post holder will work within Nesta’s Data Science Practice. We are a diverse team, of approximately 20 members, which includes data scientists, engineers and visualisation experts from backgrounds covering academia, industry and the third/public sector.
We deliver data science work for all of Nesta’s missions and in support of BIT’s goals. We are curious about new methods and enthusiastic about working with and learning from people from other disciplines.
As well as providing data driven solutions, we think critically about data for social impact. This includes identifying who is affected by our work and how, assessing the trade-offs between short- and long-term priorities and the values that are embedded in our work. We strive to balance rigour and integrity in our work, as well as principles such as openness, with the real-world needs of the organisation and wider world.
Learning and development is a high priority in the team. There are opportunities for collaborative and individual learning and there may also be opportunities to take secondments to other parts of the organisation.
You can read more about our work on the Data Analytics at Nesta blog.
What we offer:
Salary: £53,000-£66,000 (offers are expected to be made towards the bottom of the band) plus an array of benefits, including private medical insurance, dental insurance, the ability to buy and sell annual leave, eyecare vouchers and more
Location: This role is based in London Blackfriars, hybrid working arrangement with a minimum of two days in the office
Term: Permanent Hours: This is a full-time role but we offer a range of flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to take advantage of them. Many do.
Making an application To apply for this role, please submit your application before 8:00am on the 11th of September 2023. Interviews will take place w/c 18th of September 2023.
At Nesta, we believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
We want our workforce to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our workplace to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
This means that when we are recruiting, we actively seek to reach a diverse pool of candidates. It also means that we are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, compressed or part-time hours, job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Strong proficiency in Python.
- Version control using Git/Github or equivalent.
- Demonstrable experience of developing data platforms, toolkits, and frameworks.
- Solid understanding of cloud services and systems.
- Ability to convert complex data requirements into scalable solutions.
- Strong communication skills and proven experience collaborating with a diverse range of stakeholders, including non-technical collaborators.
- Familiarity with/exposure to DevOps concepts such as Infrastructure as Code, CI/CD and MLOps.
- Previous experience in a research or data-intensive environment.
- Prior experience with containerisation (e.g. Docker/Kubernetes).
- Familiarity with the entire data lifecycle.
- Experience with agile methodologies and rapid iteration.
- Experience of working in the public or third sector, or a start-up environment.
About the Company
We are Nesta, the UK’s innovation agency for social good. We design, test and scale solutions to society’s biggest problems. Our three missions are to give every child a fair start, help people live healthy lives, and create a sustainable future where the economy works for both people and the planet.
For over 20 years, we have worked to support, encourage and inspire innovation. We work in three roles: as an innovation partner working with frontline organisations to design and test new solutions, as a venture builder supporting new and early stage businesses, and as a system shaper creating the conditions for innovation. We also work closely with the other organisations within the Nesta group, most notably the Behavioural Insights Team (BIT), a social purpose organisation applying behavioural insights to policy and public service issues.
Harnessing the rigour of science and the creativity of design, we work relentlessly to change millions of lives for the better. Find out more at nesta.org.uk.
- Contact: Sinead Mushibwe
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://www.nesta.org.uk/jobs/data-platforms-engineer/