Deputy CPython Developer in Residence
Python Software Foundation
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Job TitleDeputy CPython Developer in Residence
The Python Software Foundation (PSF) is hiring for a full-time Deputy Developer in Residence, reporting to the CPython Developer in Residence.
In support of The PSF’s mission , we are hiring to facilitate a role within the Python community that will focus on assisting CPython maintainers and the Steering Council. Areas of responsibility will include issue triaging, code review, preparing PR backports, improving the automation around the Python language, and communicating with the core team to ensure their work isn’t blocked. As the Deputy Developer in Residence, you will work full-time on CPython, including a variety of projects covering the day-to-day collaborator workflow on GitHub and continuous integration, applying your technical expertise to design, develop, test, and propose changes with a workflow-minded focus. As an externally funded role, the term for this position will initially be one year with the possibility of extension based on available funding or renewals of funding.
- Keeping the core development workflow operational to ensure core developers and collaborators are not blocked from contribution.
- Improving tools and workflows, which are part of the core development experience, to enable a smoother contribution process.
- Code review of a subset of incoming changes to CPython to help collaborators receive timely communications on their changes.
- Authoring own changes to CPython to help clean the issue and PR backlog.
- Responding to requests for assistance from core developers in a timely manner.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
- Experience with software development using the Python programming language.
- Experience with open source software development and open source tools and best practices, as a contributor and/or as a maintainer.
- Experience working with a mix of stakeholders, i.e., volunteers, staff, and sponsors.
- Ability to work independently in a fully remote environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Experience in building and deploying networked applications.
- Experience with software development using the C programming language.
- Experience with CPython internals.
Applicants from around the world are welcome for this remote position. If the applicant is based outside the USA, the PSF would offer an independent contractor role, structured with autonomy to meet agreed goals of the position in the manner you determine; income may be subject to US income tax. If the applicant is within the USA, the PSF would offer a full-time employee role with compensation including salary, 401K, as well as health (full premium paid by the PSF), dental, and vision insurance and paid time off. Total compensation will range between $100,000-$120,000 USD based on qualifications and experience.
This position will report to the CPython Developer in Residence and collaborate with the Steering Council. Some recurring availability within the US Eastern time zone will be necessary for check-ins and reporting. The ability and willingness to travel annually to PyCon US is a plus for this position.
About the Company
The call for resumes will be open until July 26th 2023. Please use this link to apply with your resume and cover letter.
The Python Software Foundation is a US 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that holds the intellectual property rights behind the Python programming language. We also run the PyCon US conference annually, support other Python conferences/workshops around the world, and fund Python-related development with our grants program. To see more info about the PSF, check out our Annual Impact Report and public records.
We believe that the future of open source must include everyone. We welcome all job-seekers regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical appearance, body size, socio-economic, veteran or disability status. Python is a global community and the PSF aims to support a safe environment for all. More information can be found on our Code of Conduct page.
- Contact: Deb Nicholson
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://pythonsoftwarefoundation.applytojob.com/apply/9jXnEu0MuJ/Deputy-CPython-Developer-In-Residence