Software Engineer - MAAS
London, United Kingdom
Job TitleSoftware Engineer - MAAS
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and Data Centre automation. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
- Develop MAAS core components and features to make MAAS the #1 bare metal cloud system
- Shape the architecture of MAAS to make it simpler, faster and easier to use
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure MAAS works well with other tools and is released on time
- Contribute your improvements to our continuous integration environment, tests and practices, to maintain fast feedback and good test coverage
- Contribute to documentation of current and existing features, making it world-class resource for Data Centre operators and users
- Provide technical communication and collaboration with other teams where appropriate.
- Take personal ownership of problems and drive them to solutions.
- Travel internationally a few times a year to meet and collaborate with your and other teams.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- At least 5 years of proven professional software development experience in Python, Go or similar.
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques
- Excellent logic, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong English language communication skills - both written and verbal
- Experience with Linux server technologies, including but not limited to Virtualization (KVM), Containers (LXC), etc.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with some of the open source development tools and methodologies used in creation of several Ubuntu projects (MAAS, Juju, Ubuntu Server, LXD, Ubuntu Core), such as Launchpad, Debian packaging tools (APT, dpkg) and snapcraft.
- Experience with Baseboard Management Controllers and Protocols (Redfish, IPMI, AMT and others)
- Knowledge of network technologies, including PXE, DHCP, TFTP, DNS, NTP
About the Company
The Ubuntu MAAS team is responsible for delivering our Metal As A Service hyperscale provisioning technology. Ubuntu strives to be the most scalable, cloud ready server distribution and MAAS is our platform to get it there. MAAS is a rapidly evolving software stack written in Python and Go, and we are looking for experienced software engineers who understand performance at scale, networking, storage and usability.
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.