The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX, United States
Job TitlePython Programmer
Python/Django/Oracle web applications developer coding software solutions to meet the business needs of departments supported by Technology Resources (TRecs). Coach and guide other programmers to analyze current and future business processes. Work with Product Owners and clients to create and interpret business specifications. Share responsibility for maintenance and enhancement of existing business applications, integrations, and jobs.
- Provides programming, technical and data analysis. Writes custom code, configures software packages, analyzes and debugs moderate to complex programming logic. Builds integrations between software packages. Accurately scopes projects and tasks.
- Works closely with product owners to determine business requirements and system objectives for small and medium efforts. Investigates available software configurations and capabilities. Makes well-considered recommendations and decisions with ambiguous information. Ensures technical tasks are defined for the project team. Communicates effectively with a variety of audiences.
- Provides operational support for Financial and Administrative Services business application systems and services, including monitoring systems and communicating with affected parties.
- Reviews programs and systems written by others. Provides supervision, mentorship, and direction to junior technical staff. Shares knowledge with colleagues and peers.
- Collaborates on quality assurance and testing to ensure application accuracy, functionality, security, usability, and accessibility. Champions automated tests where feasible.
- Provides input for departmental standards, process improvements, and technical documentation. Creates software documentation, including flowcharts, statements of program objectives, and other associated documentation.
- Other related functions as assigned.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
- 1 year of Python experience designing, writing, developing, and testing complex software for web-based applications.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, test, and debug code.
- Some experience delivering successful projects to meet business requirements including estimating and establishing project milestones.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in a team-oriented environment.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills with both non-technical and technical audiences.
- Desire to deliver high-quality results within schedule.
- Exhibit professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree with more than 1 year of demonstrated Python/Django and coding experience.
- Experience with Oracle.
- Some experience writing software in Natural/ADABAS.
- Experience with Rancher.
- Experience with Agile software development processes.
- Experience with UT Austin administrative systems.
About the Company
Flexible work arrangements and telework are available for this position. Remote work for individuals who reside outside Texas but within the United States and its territories will be considered and requires central office approval. A typical 8-hour flexible schedule should occur between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Central Time. Occasional requirements might require work outside business hours.
Technology Resources (TRecs) supports the diverse business processes of the units in the FAS portfolio in building, integrating, and implementation of software, server, desktop and location information solutions.
For more information on Technology Resources, please visit: https://trecs.utexas.edu/
We are committed to conducting our work in a way that reflects our value of diversity. To that end, we want all of our employees to feel confident that their varied backgrounds and experiences are embraced.
Your skills will make a difference. You’ll be working for a university that is internationally recognized for our academic programs and research. Your work will make a difference in the lives of FAS staff, thereby enhancing the student experience. If you’re the type of person that wants to know your work has meaning and impact, you’ll like working in our department and for UT Austin. UT Austin provides an outstanding benefits package including but not limited to:
- Competitive health benefits (employee premiums covered at 100%, family premiums at 50%)
- Voluntary Vision, Dental, Life, and Disability insurance options
- Generous paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas, a defined benefit retirement plan, with 8% employer matching funds
- Additional Voluntary Retirement Programs: Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) and a Deferred Compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Robust free training access through LinkedIn Learning plus professional conference opportunities
- Tuition assistance
- Expansive employee discount program including athletic tickets
- Free access to UT Austin's libraries and museums with staff ID card
- Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Austin CapMetro buses with staff ID card
For more details, please see: https://hr.utexas.edu/prospective/benefits and https://hr.utexas.edu/current/services/my-total-rewards
Must be authorized to work in the United Sates on a full-time basis for any employer.
- Contact: Wendy Whipple
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://utaustin.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UTstaff/job/AUSTIN-TX/Python-Programmer_R_00022772-1