Utah State University
Logan, Utah, USA
Job TitleSoftware Engineer
The Utah Water Research Laboratory at Utah State University conducts cutting edge research aimed at tackling water-related challenges from local to global scales. Come join our team and build cyberinfrastructure to help solve the world’s water challenges. We have an opening for a software engineer to work on the Python-based programming, application development, and database management aspects of water research projects, including development of hydrologic information systems and online collaborative data sharing and water resources modeling. We value diversity and seek employees who want to work on systems that improve environmental stewardship. Do you love to be outdoors? Logan, Utah is the perfect place for your skiing, hiking, cycling, or other outdoor adventures. Prefer to stay at your current location? We’ll consider telework options too. To apply and see job details visit: https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/5620/software-engineer/job
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- Work collaboratively on Python-based web development and service-oriented architecture software projects.
- Develop desktop and server/web applications and associated databases and data management systems on Linux and Windows platforms.
- Assist with application release and deployment.
- Develop and maintain automated testing.
- Interact with domain scientists (hydrologists, engineers, earth scientists) and provide leadership, particularly to graduate students and student programmers with varying programming experience.
- Work effectively in a collaborative and distributed team environment, triage and resolve issues, and contribute to the success of others.
- Participate in and contribute to system architecture discussions and decisions.
Required Qualifications (must have):
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business/Management Information Systems, Engineering, or another related field plus 3 years of directly related work experience.
- Proficiency with backend and application programming in Python along with SQL including database access, design, implementation, management and deployment.
- Knowledge of Service-Oriented Architecture and RESTful web service API design and development.
- Experience in software engineering, version control (Git and GitHub or similar), scripting, and basic system administration.
Preferred Qualifications (should have some but do not have to have all):
- Experience with a Python Integrated Development Environment such as PyCharm.
- Experience with continuous integration practices such as Jenkins or similar.
- Experience with code review.
- Experience developing RESTful web services.
- Experience with database management and data model design using systems like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, or other equivalent database management systems.
- Ability to configure and manage application hosting environments.
- Knowledge of container and cloud technologies and services.
- Experience with Jupyter Notebook development.
- Knowledge or experience in managing hydrologic, environmental, or engineering datasets.
- Experience in Agile software development process and modern automated testing methodologies.
- Knowledge or experience with scientific computation and numerical simulation.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
About the Company
The Utah Water Research Laboratory is part of Utah State University in Logan, Utah, USA (https://utah.com/logan). Working with collaborators across the country, we do cutting edge research related to hydroinformatics and environmental cyberinfrastructure. We value diversity and seek employees who want to work on systems that improve environmental stewardship. USU offers competitive salaries and outstanding benefits, including 13 paid holidays, 22 days of paid annual leave, and 12 paid sick leave days; eligibility for medical, dental, and disability insurance with access to the University library and exercise facilities. USU also contributes 14.2 % of your salary towards your retirement with no required match. Full information about benefits can be found at http://hr.usu.edu.
Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is Utah’s land-grant and space-grant university. USU is one of only 146 research institutions in the U.S. classified as R1 “very high research activity” by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. As one of the two premier research institutions in Utah, USU provides a high-quality education at an affordable price. With its main campus in Logan, the university serves approximately 27,500 students, including 24,255 undergraduates and 3,171 graduate students. USU Online has served students from all 50 states and 55 countries for 25 years.
USU’s statewide system features three residential campuses, 30 total campus locations, and 23 Extension education centers. The university employees 903 full-time faculty members, 124 executive administrators, and 1,649 full-time support staff. USU offers 115 undergraduate majors, as well as 91 master’s and 42 doctoral degrees. Learn more about USU.
A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and people in economic development, improvements to quality of life, and human capital. Through the practical application of knowledge, the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant tradition of partnering with communities to address critical societal issues in the interest of the public good.
The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah, a city of about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate region.
USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a Dual Career Assistance program to support careers for partners who are also seeking employment.
USU endeavors to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access in all aspects of employment to qualified persons with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, please contact the university’s ADA Coordinator in the Human Resource office at 435-797-0122 or submit a request at email@example.com.
- Contact: Jeff Horsburgh
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/5620/software-engineer/job