Software engineer (Python): Scalable diagnostics for digital twins of the climate system
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Bremerhaven, Bremen, Germany
Job TitleSoftware engineer (Python): Scalable diagnostics for digital twins of the climate system
The Climate Dynamics section at the Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) in Bremerhaven, Germany, invites applications for a software engineer (Python/Bash/DevOps) for the development of scalable diagnostics and evaluation tools in support of digital twins of the climate system.
You will work with leading European climate modellers, computing scientists and software engineers on developing digital twins of the climate system in support of adaptation to climate change. The Climate Adaptation Digital Twins system harnesses two kilometre-scale Earth-system models (ESMs) to Europe’s most performant computing high-performance computing systems.
You will be part of the team responsible for development of data analysis framework, aimed at km-scale climate simulations. Data analytics tasks, that you will help to design and develop, should work on Tier 1 European HPC systems (e.g., LUMI - the first pre-exascale supercomputer of the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking), process petabyte-scale data, should be scalable, portable and fault tolerant.
This is a full-time position, limited to 20 month. It is advertised subject to approval of funding and with the possibility of extension (depending on continued funding). It is also suitable for part-time employment. The salary will be paid in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federation (Tarifvertrag des öffentlichen Dienstes, TVöD Bund), up to salary level 13. The place of employment will be Bremerhaven.
We look forward to your application! Please submit your application by August 26th 2022, exclusively online. Reference number 22/131/D/Kli-b
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- A Master or Phd in one or more of the following fields is required: computer science, mathematics, data sciences, physics, meteorology, oceanography, climate sciences, or related field.
- Demonstrated skill/proficiency in Python or any other high-level programming language and fluency in English are further requirements.
- We follow good software development practices in our work, and expect candidates to have hands on experience with version control (git), writing tests, and creating documentation.
- Most of the development will be done in python, but knowing other languages like R, Julia, Matlab is beneficial.
- Familiarity with python data analytics stack (dask, pandas, xarray, jupyter) is an advantage, as well as experience with *nix based systems.
Moreover, having one or several of the following skills would be a distinct advantage:
- Experience with HPC systems,
- Parallel data processing (e.g. dask),
- Working with containers (Docker, Singularity)
- Data processing on heterogeneous systems (CPU/GPUs)
- Knowledge of workflow managers (e.g. Airflow, Prefect, Cylc)
- Working with complex climate models and geophysical data formats (netCDF, GRIB, zarr)
About the Company
The AWI is characterised by:
- our scientific success - excellent research
- collaboration and cooperation - intra-institute, national and international, interdisciplinary
- opportunities to develop – on the job, aiming at other positions and beyond AWI
- a culture of reconciling work and family – an audited and well-supported aspect of our operation
- our outstanding research infrastructure – ships, stations, aircraft, laboratories and more
- an international environment – everyday contacts with people from all over the world
- having an influence – fundamental research with social and political relevance
- flat hierarchies – facilitating freedom and responsibility
- exciting science topics, with opportunities also in technology, administration and infrastructure
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy. The AWI aims to increase the number of female employees and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Disabled applicants will be given preference when equal qualifications are present.
The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family in various ways and has received a number of awards as a result of this engagement.
- Contact: Thomas Jung
- E-mail contact: Thomas.Jung@awi.de
- Web: https://recruitingapp-5442.de.umantis.com/Vacancies/1148/Description/2