Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Managed Services
Amazon Web Services Australia
Sydney, Melbourne, Australia, Australia
Job TitleSenior Software Development Engineer, AWS Managed Services
Are you ready to make a BIG difference? Join the AWS Managed Services team at the forefront of cloud technologies with interactions and integration across the full breadth of AWS services. Imagine if you could upload enterprise-level applications and software onto the cloud, and not have to worry about the associated routine tasks that ensure optimal performance. What if you could design intelligent software that could implement these tasks and return immediate and actionable information to its users?
We are building software that automates infrastructure operations and provides recommendations to AWS users who are eager for deep insights into cost optimization, performance, security, and fault tolerance. As an engineer on our team, you will become an AWS expert who understands and works with a variety of AWS services to build and deliver highly available, performant, and scalable systems to delight our customers. You will be surrounded by world-class engineers who are experts in their field, passionate about cloud computing, and excel at developing innovative solutions to solve customer problems.
Our goal is to increase enterprise adoption of AWS by providing an AWS infrastructure operations management service. AWS Managed Services provides automated outcomes for critical infrastructure operations (e.g. operations as code) across change management, provisioning, monitoring, remediation, patch, backup, recovery, logging, compliance, and security.
Key job responsibilities
As a senior software development engineer, you will:
- Lead technical delivery of solutions, provide technical guidance to the team, persistently advocate for Amazon’s highest engineering standards.
- Write code using the right level of complexity, creating flexible software without over-engineering it.
- Work on project ideas with customers, stakeholders and peers, helping to balance customer requirements with team requirements.
- Possess self-drive to dive deep and maintain progress even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid “analysis paralysis”)
- Actively improve your team by participating in the code review process, design discussions and team planning sessions.
- Focus on operational excellence, taking on projects and making software enhancements that improve the team software and processes.
- Work to resolve the root cause of complex problems, leaving software that is better and easier to maintain than when you found it.
- Actively mentor and develop more junior members of the team, and participate in the hiring process to help our team grow.
A day in the life
You'll consult with your team and the current sprint board to decide on your priorities for the day. You’ll likely spend some time writing some Python or Java code for your latest feature, or ensuring your recent feature is operationally excellent by reviewing its monitoring, documentation or security needs. You’ll have an afternoon sprint stand-up meeting, and check in with the 2-3 others working on your project stream.
About the team
The AWS Managed Services (AMS) team in Sydney focuses on creating tooling that allows our internal Operations team to have visibility of our customers' AWS accounts. We strive to make sure there are self-service tools in place to allow AMS to quickly deliver the right monitoring features for our customers.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- 8+ years of professional software development experience developing high quality code
- 2+ years of experience taking a leading role in architecture, design, and delivery to customers of complex software systems that utilize best practices to achieve availability, reliability, and scalability.
- Proficiency with at least one modern programming language such as Java, Python, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- Experience developing distributed systems using AWS a strong plus
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively articulate technical issues and solutions to non-technical audiences
- Hands-on knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
About the Company
Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS) is a subsidiary of Amazon that provides on-demand cloud computing platforms and APIs to individuals, companies, and governments, on a metered pay-as-you-go basis. These cloud computing web services provide distributed computing processing capacity and software tools via AWS server farms. One of these services is Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), which allows users to have at their disposal a virtual cluster of computers, available all the time, through the Internet. AWS's virtual computers emulate most of the attributes of a real computer, including hardware central processing units (CPUs) and graphics processing units (GPUs) for processing; local/RAM memory; hard-disk/SSD storage; a choice of operating systems; networking; and pre-loaded application software such as web servers, databases, and customer relationship management (CRM).
- Contact: Veena Kaprani
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1945588/senior-software-development-engineer-aws-managed-services