Senior Software Engineer
Space Telescope Science Institute
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Job TitleSenior Software Engineer
At STScI, we are building innovative calibration software for the processing and analysis of observations from NASA’s flagship missions, including the James Webb Space Telescope and the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope, and in support of the astronomical community. Our software is written in Python. We are developing a new data format for serializing scientific data. The Advanced Scientific Data Format (ASDF) is a language-neutral file format. We are searching for a Senior Software Engineer to develop and maintain the Python library implementing the format.
Your Role & Responsibilities include:
The Software Engineer will contribute to the effort to develop ASDF and support open source libraries for Astronomy. Day to day in this role, you will:
- Work with a team of developers at STScI and around the world to develop and maintain the ASDF standard and libraries
- Support STScI missions using the ASDF data format
- Contribute to open source libraries, like astropy and its affiliated packages
- Optimize software for use with large data sets, including in a cloud environment
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
Your Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong experience in Python and at least one compiled language
- Experience with I/O on large datasets
- Familiarity with YAML, JSON, HDF5 or other data formats
- Familiarity with open development environments
- Knowledge of Git and Git workflows in a team setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
We prefer a degree in Computer Science, Physics or Astronomy, or a relevant field with a minimum of 5 years software development experience.
This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence in order to meet ITAR requirements.
About the Company
The Space Telescope Science Institute is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. We are searching for a Senior Software Engineer to join one of the largest open source projects in astronomy working with our Science Calibration Software Team.
This is a hybrid onsite/virtual position. Candidates must reside in the local area to work onsite as needed.
- Contact: Nadia Dencheva
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-94f2-6f32360aa4e1/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=3f8db81d-0532-4b78-aba3-0ee3585ca2e2