Robotics Research Software Engineer
UK Atomic Energy Authority
Abingdon, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Job TitleRobotics Research Software Engineer
Who are we looking for?
A great opportunity has become available at UKAEA and we are looking for an experienced Robotics Research Software Engineer to join RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments). you will be working in a world-leading lab for robotics in extreme environments, helping to solve important and worthwhile challenges.
You will have excellent communication skills, team working and proactive engagement with others. If you are self-motivated and delivery focused and you have strong coding skills in C++ and/or Python, then we would like to hear from you.
This role will allow you to collaborate on projects with scientists and engineers, and providing help, advice, training, and infrastructure, develop or improve/extend robotics software and diagnose issues and propose solutions. Also, you will provide software development and research computing help and support to scientists and engineers and provide robotics software expertise to help researchers
What we offer
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days’ annual leave increased with length of service (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) plus bank holidays
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g. professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit the UK government website.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 30th April 2022.
- No telecommuting
- Agencies are OK
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Demonstrable experience of developing software for robots
- Demonstrable experience of developing working, understandable software in at least one language used in scientific or engineering applications (particularly Python, C++)
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Familiarity with good development practices such as version control and software testing
- Working knowledge of developing and deploying software on Linux platforms
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle and experience of writing software for use by others
- Degree in a scientific, engineering or technical subject and experience working in an academic or industrial research environment
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Familiarity with some relevant technologies: Git, Gitlab/Github, automated testing & CI, build systems, packaging, containerisation
- Using scientific computing platforms such as compute clusters, HPC or cloud systems
- Experience with AI and ML software and tools
- Involvement in the RSE community and/or experience of giving talks, training, or helping to run events
- PhD in relevant subject area