Senior Software Engineer, Imaging, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
Open to Remote, California, United States
Job TitleSenior Software Engineer, Imaging, Science
In our Science Initiative, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research.
The Imaging Technology Team is growing an open source image analysis and visualization ecosystem, built around napari and the napari hub, to further our mission to enable researchers to gain a much deeper mechanistic and quantitative understanding of biological systems using imaging.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Imaging Team, you will build software tools to support this mission, working closely with a collaborative team of scientists, engineers, product managers, designers and user researchers. This is an excellent opportunity for a backend engineer with diverse and robust software engineering skills to lead the team’s backend engineering efforts while helping to advance science. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with external communities of users and developers, and contribute to open source software while building these tools.
- Lead backend engineering design and development for a small, fullstack engineering team.
- Build scalable software systems for user-focused applications. Ensure quality in the work we deliver.
- Share responsibilities in maintaining team infrastructure, deployment and other DevOps duties.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team, with engineers, product managers, applications scientists, data scientists, UX researchers and designers, to define product plans and deliver on roadmaps.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- 3+ years experience building backend systems using a modern technology stack (Python, Docker, REST, SQL/NOSQL).
- A solid understanding of data structure tradeoffs and can apply performant algorithms to solve problems.
- Experience working with cloud services like AWS.
- Experience driving the technical design and development for backend services.
- Internal drive for continuous learning and teaching others.
- Experience working on search-based applications is a plus.
- Agile software development methodologies is a plus.
About the Company
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.