Digital Operations Engineer - APAC
BMAT Music Innovators
Job TitleDigital Operations Engineer - APAC
As part of the Digital Engineering team, you will help build and improve one of the most complete music data processing systems in the world. We are connected to more than 80 service providers such as Spotify or Apple Music. The sales reports they provide us are ingested in a scalable platform that allows us to efficiently process billions of music transactions each year. We also provide on-demand audio identification services, that allow our partners to monitor user-uploaded content platforms like YouTube and increase revenue collection from videos containing their music. With Python as the main development technology and a bit of C++ for CPU-intensive tasks, the system processes 650 million lines per month in a horizontally scalable architecture powered by AWS (Amazon Web Services).
A system of this magnitude needs resourceful, action-driven and diligent people to be maintained, operated and evolved. You will work side by side with the Barcelona team in order to offer the best user experience for our Asian clients and develop creative solutions to satisfy their business needs. Your responsibilities range from extracting concrete information from our databases (mostly MySQL and MongoDB) over resolving issues reported by the operations team up to develop tools in order to scale repeated tasks.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
All About You
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- You know Python and some of its web frameworks and you are eager to get better.
- You are comfortable querying SQL and NoSQL.
- Bash knowledge can convert complicated tasks to one-liners.
- You have used AWS and know some of its core components.
- Starting a debugger is the first thing that comes to mind when tackling a bug.
- DRY principles are important to you.
- You know how to exit Vim.
- You are fluent in English. Competency in another local language is a plus.
It's a plus
- Experience in music publishing operations, preferably at a Collective Management Organization, music publisher, or DSP.
- Knowledge of music metadata and reporting standards.
- Experience in Django
About the Company
That thing we do
We’re the Operating System for the Music Industry – a platform that pumps up the jam of every play.
We connect all players of the industry to amplify the value of music. Driven by machine learning and copyright expertise, our system pumps neutral data and authoritative knowledge to everyone along the chain. For those who make or use music, we allow them to plug in to our O.S. to ease operations, increase earnings, and get in sync with everyone else.
Who the FAQ are BMAT
BMAT started in 2005 when a group of engineers with a passion for music decided to spin-off from an audio research lab in Barcelona. We’re now over 160 people, spread across Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, London, Paris, Nairobi, Oslo, Tel-Aviv, Singapore, Tokyo, Manila, Bangkok and Lagos.
We’re a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open-minded and well-traveled, coming from all parts of the world. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for innovative technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination.
Join us from wherever you are on our mission to help make music live forever.
We say there’s a BMAT touch. We believe it has to do with being passionate, obsessive, nice, generous, honest, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, intrepid, crazy, extraordinary, creative, agile, human, friendly, smart, witty, talented, naive, optimistic, surprising, sensual, and nerdy, but not very hipster (unfortunately). Our way of being is always sprinkled with transparency, perseverance, flexibility, open-mindedness and trustworthiness.
You Can Enjoy
- Flexible working hours and location
- Flat hierarchy
- You can make the role your own and run your own development
- Online language classes to improve your Spanish, Catalan or English
- Online and onsite courses and music industry workshops run by inhouse experts
- We’ll provide you with all equipment needed for you to be comfortable
- 25 days of holiday per year, plus flexible time off for other commitments
- Barcelona HQ office available to you, kitted out with a rehearsal room https://www.bmat.com/bmat-house/
Diverse perspectives drive innovation, and innovation is kind of our thing. Our open-minded and flexible culture organically fosters this diversity. We've learnt that we thrive on learning from each other, so we don't just welcome but actively hire a range of open-minded people from all walks of life. Our team is made up of people with different backgrounds, perspectives, orientations, abilities, musical tastes, dress sense and time-zones - but we all have one common goal: Making the music world a better place. With equal opportunities for everyone, BMAT is a pretty nice place to work.