Financial Data Science Manager
Human Rights Watch
Multiple Locations Considered, United States
Job TitleFinancial Data Science Manager
FULL-TIME JOB VACA
FINANCIAL DATA SCIENCE MANAGER
Multiple Locations Considered
Application Deadline: January 23, 2022
Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking a Data Science Manager to help lead the Finance Division’s efforts to analyze big data and deliver enhanced insights backed up by machine learning, data mining, algorithmic, statistical and visualization techniques. This position reports to the Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) Senior Associate Director who is based in Colorado, U.S.A.
The location of this position is flexible, but time zones with shared office hours to Eastern Standard Time will be preferred.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are currently closed or operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely initially, or as local mandates require. We recognize that this moment, during the COVID-19 pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
- Manage all financial data activities, including supporting the FP&A team by maintaining, monitoring, and analyzing personnel and other financial data and their relationships across systems.
- Build new and maintain existing Power BI reports, dashboards, data models, and dataflows that map and model impact of revenue and expense trends and projections.
- Lead the development of internal tools to facilitate machine learning models and predictive analytics to support financial reporting, forecasting, financial planning, and fiscal integrity.
- Formulate and apply statistical modeling and use statistical and quantitative analysis, coding, and techniques to develop models used to mitigate financial risk and highlight relevant financial trends.
- Leverage deep modeling, coding, data mining, visualization, and analytical techniques to contribute to and co-create innovative financial approaches and solutions that optimize financial performance and align financials to organizational strategy.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements including re-designing financial planning infrastructure for greater scalability, optimizing data delivery, building big data analytical tools, and providing actionable insight into key business performance metrics including operational efficiencies.
- Influence by delivering valuable insights and recommendations to improve finance strategy and process, with modeling, storytelling, visualization, and statistical skills.
- Identify areas for systems integration to improve speed/latency, increase efficiencies, reduce redundancies and errors, and remove data quality problems in partnership with the Information Technology (IT) team.
- Communicate complex modeling processes and results to key financial stakeholders and non-finance audiences alike.
- Keep abreast of big data and machine learning, financial planning best practices, and industry developments to incorporate best in class modeling methodologies.
- Perform additional tasks as required.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. HRW offers a relocation assistance package and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by January 23, 2022, by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org and attaching a letter of interest and a CV or resume. No calls or email inquiries, please. Applications must be complete to receive considerations, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, or if you require accommodations during the application process, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in data science, computer science or an advanced degree in a related quantitative field is required.
Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience in a role managing big data, developing, and analyzing predictive models, and direct finance analysis or Business Intelligence experience is required. Prior experience working in nonprofit/NGO finance is highly desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Previous experience in and/or demonstrated knowledge of finance and big data analysis.
- Coding skills and core mathematical ability to understand, utilize and innovate state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms and statistical modeling (SQL, Python, or similar query language experience).
- Excellent computer knowledge, including advanced proficiency with Microsoft applications such as PowerBI.
- Strong project management skills for managing multiple project streams and complexity.
- Experience with data warehouses or relational databases.
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, and work independently as well as function as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication, creative problem-solving, and strong organization skills.
- Effective oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions.
- Basic financial statement and accounting understanding.
2. Experience with Oracle NetSuite financial accounting system, PBCS, and/or Salesforce. *** Proven interest in human rights is a plus.
About the Company
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
- Contact: Wendy Richard
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://boards.greenhouse.io/humanrightswatch/jobs/5763162002