Jr Software Engineer: learn OpenStack, IaC for scientific computing/HPC
Bristol, United Kingdom
Job TitleJr Software Engineer: learn OpenStack, IaC for scientific computing/HPC
StackHPC is hiring junior Software Engineers to help deliver systems that tackle some of the great scientific challenges of the modern age.
Our customers - which include research institutes and prestigious universities, plus bioinformatics, finance and pharmaceutical companies - use cloud technology and software-defined infrastructure to run scientific applications at scale.
We're hiring skills such as software development, platform engineering and Linux admin to help design, deploy, evolve and validate this infrastructure and the application environments.
This entails a rich mix of systems work in parallel with developing our core software product - a comprehensive development framework that covers all components, from provisioning onto bare metal and upwards: https://github.com/stackhpc.Our solutions interact with every aspect of modern cloud infrastructure from which you can cross-pollinate emerging ideas and methods. It's a chance to embark on a learning journey together, to help set and forge new technical standards, and to implement solutions that make a real-world impact on important and interesting projects.
We offer a supportive, inclusive and welcoming environment in which you can flourish, collaborating with accomplished colleagues keen to share their knowledge of scientific OpenStack and to support this thriving open source community.
We'll be pleased to chat over a virtual cuppa, and to explore where this may lead.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
Your skills may include
- Writing automation and/or product code with Python
- Deployment and admin of Linux
- Config management - Ansible or similar
- Infrastructure lifecycle management - Terraform or similar
- Applying Infrastructure as Code (IaC) approaches
- Systems and process automation using Python and Bash
- Supporting Docker containerisation methods
- Development lifecycle tools, such as Git, Jira
- Use of monitoring and reporting tools, such as Prometheus and Grafana
A flavour of skills you may develop with us
- HPC application ops
- Performance profiling, monitoring tools, and software performance optimisation
- Configuring and optimising object and file systems
- System-level hardware and performance optimisation
- Setup of HPC middleware
- Orchestration with Kubernetes, and/or workload management with Slurm
- Public Cloud (e.g. AWS, Azure or GCP)
- Design and deployment of OpenStack or other cloud services
Our current ecosystem - we'll help you get up to speed
- CentOS, Ubuntu, RHEL, Rocky Linux
- Ceph, Cinder, Manila
- Prometheus, Grafana, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Cloudkitty, Keystone, Horizon
- Neutron, SRIOV
- Nova, Magnum, Slurm, Kubernetes, Octavia
Salary and benefits
- Please let techfolk know the salary range that you are open to
- Annual bonus (up to 25%) based upon company performance
- Discretionary relocation assistance
- Flexible working practices e.g. optional four day week
- 25 days paid holiday
- Pension contribution (tbd)
- Generous stock option scheme
- Support for travel to conferences and delivering presentations
About the Company
StackHPC is a dynamic OpenStack and cloud consultancy that works with leading organisations to provide infrastructure for data-intensive scientific challenges. We’ve been growing for five years with 20 team members, and still retain a startup mindset.
An important aspect of our culture is dedication to open source, with the additional values of open design, development and community. All of our development is upstream open source; StackHPC is a committed member of the Open Infrastructure community being a Silver Member founder. Principal staff are active in community efforts around OpenStack and research computing, and our CTO is co-founder and co-chair of the Scientific Special Interest Group.
Central Bristol - then optionally remote once up to speed. We're at Desklodge, Temple Way, five minutes' walk from each of Bristol Temple Meads station, St Nicholas food market and Cabot Circus shopping centre -
Please note, we are only considering candidates who have an established right to work in the UK.
Even if your CV isn't ready, please talk with Andrew at techfolk to find out more:
0117 318 2447 | stackhpc[at]techfolk.co.uk | [at]we_are_techfolk
RECRUITERS: StackHPC has selected techfolk as our recruitment partner and cold calling is not welcomed.
- Contact: Andrew Gifford
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://www.techfolk.co.uk/job/software-engineer-100.aspx