Senior Backend Engineer (Remote)
Center of Complex Interventions
N/A, N/A, N/A
Job TitleSenior Backend Engineer (Remote)
We're looking for a backend engineer to work on Mathesar, a new open source project aimed at making databases more accessible to non-technical users. We're currently working hard on our alpha version, which we are aiming to ship by the end of 2021.
We're working on simplifying and automating database operations and data migrations to make them easy to work with for non-technical users without sacrificing flexibility for advanced users. You'll be collaborating closely with the rest of the Mathesar team to build the backend for the project using PostgreSQL, Python, SQLAlchemy, and Django.
We're still working on the first version of the product (you can find our roadmap on GitHub) and there's ample opportunity to provide input into the direction of the project from both the technical and usability perspectives. You'll also have opportunities to contribute to frontend and infrastructure work if you desire -- we are an informal team.
This position also involves ownership in building an active community around the project, including participating in conversations with both contributors and users, mentoring new contributors and interns, maintaining documentation and tutorials, reviewing pull requests, and so on.
We are a fully distributed team and work mostly asynchronously via Matrix and GitHub Discussions. You can be located anywhere in the world, as long as you can make time between 2 PM and 8 PM UTC for occasional video calls and team events.
How to Apply
Please fill out this application form.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- Expertise in Python.
- Strong grasp of SQL and database performance (PostgreSQL preferred).
- Experience with architecting and maintaining Python web applications (Django and/or SQLAlchemy preferred).
- Experience designing REST APIs.
- Professional experience collaborating on a product within a 4-5 member engineering team.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in English.
- Comfort with explaining your ideas quickly, clearly, and comprehensively in writing.
- Ability to work independently, build good working relationships remotely, and communicate proactively.
- Interest in building an open source community and helping others contribute to the project.
- Comfort with working without defined specifications and identifying and resolving ambiguity quickly.
- Curiosity and enjoyment of learning new things.
Nice to have:
- Experience with build/infrastructure tools like Docker and Ansible.
- Experience maintaining Linux servers.
- Experience with building self-hosted products.
- Open source contribution or community building.
- Remote (especially asynchronous) work.
About the Company
Our team is based out of the nonprofit Center of Complex Interventions (CCI) and we are advised by Joi Ito and Reid Hoffman.