London (W12) or Salford (M50), England, United Kingdom
Job TitleData Scientist
The BBC are looking for a Data Scientist, this is a permanent role based in either Salford or London.
Imagine if Netflix, The Huffington Post, ESPN, and Spotify were all rolled into one - you’re starting to get close to what the BBC does online!
The BBC’s world-class online products (iPlayer, News, Sport, Music, Radio, and many others) reach millions of audience members every week, and create more than 1 Billion rows of data per day, but our work doesn’t stop there. We’re also working with other, “offline” parts of the BBC to help them gain an even better understanding of their audiences and aid their decision-making.
The Data Science team are responsible for designing and developing data mining tools, modelling complex problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic and visualisation techniques.
As a Data Scientist you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that the BBC’s data management, analytics and data science services are implemented and matured in the area that you support to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services.
Within the Data Science team, you will support the design of experiments, test hypotheses, and build models. You will also conduct data analysis and help build moderately complex algorithms. You will have knowledge of SQL and either Python or R for data analysis and model building, with the ability and desire to learn new techniques and keep up with this fast-moving field.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
Ideally you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field, OR knowledge gained through relevant experience.
- Experience with R or Python and SQL.
- Experience in the use of statistical packages.
- Familiarity with basic principles of databases.
- Demonstrable ability to quickly understand new concepts - all the way down to the theorems - and to come out with original solutions to mathematical issues.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience.
- A mix of public sector and commercial experience.
- Participation in published documents within your area of specialism.
- Successful academic background in your specialist discipline
About the Company
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
- Contact: Alix Darby
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://careerssearch.bbc.co.uk/jobs/job/Data-Scientist/53445