Data Engineer (Software Engineer II)
Portland, OR, US
Job TitleData Engineer (Software Engineer II)
Energy Solutions is currently seeking a passionate, experienced, and driven Data Engineer for our Information Systems. The focus of the Reports, Analytics, and Data team is leveraging data from intelligent devices, and other sources, to quantify and enable the realization of energy and non-energy benefits for utilities and their customers. As a member of this team, you will conceptualize, develop, and maintain databases, develop methodologies and implement robust (manual and automated) data access processes, create queries, and applications to create deep meaningful insights. You will interact with software developers, project managers, data scientists, and industry to contribute to projects that influence regional and national policies surrounding energy use in buildings and appliances, resulting in large-scale energy savings. This role is perfect for someone interested in using a data-driven approach to shape the energy future in California and beyond.
The person filling this role may work out of our Oakland, CA, Orange, CA, Portland, OR, or Boston, MA – with a preference towards Oakland.
- Design, build, and support data models and ETL pipelines.
- Create new data products (e.g. data warehouses) in collaboration with data engineers, software engineers and business stakeholders using data science best practices.
- Interface with developers, project managers, and data scientists to understand data needs of the project.
- Build data expertise and own data quality for allocated areas of responsibility.
- Collaborate with multiple teams in high visibility roles and own the solution end-to-end.
- Use your data skills leveraging languages like SQL, Python, and other tools to provide solutions to tease out important value from raw datasets.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Physics/Engineering, or Mathematics or 3-6 years of relevant experience.
- 2+ years of data warehouse development and strong fundamentals in dimensional data modeling.
- 2+ years of experience in creating SQL queries and ETL design, implementation and maintenance.
- 2+ years of experience developing data pipelines using Python.
- Proven ability to aggregate, normalize, munge, analyze, and summarize value from disparate datasets.
- Ability to manage and communicate data warehouse plans to a non-technical audience.
- Experience with visualization libraries, e.g. Highcharts, Altair, Plotly.
- Experience using BI tools like Tableau and Looker.
- Experience with job scheduling, e.g. Airflow.
- Strong understanding of analytics needs and a proactive approach, focusing on reusable solutions to improve efficiency.
- Experience with equipment communication ecosystems and standardized nomenclatures like Haystack or Brick schema.
- Self-driven, highly motivated and able to learn quickly.
- Experience with or advanced courses in data science.
- Familiarity with large data sets, cloud-based development and deployment, open-source practices and frameworks, and intelligent applications is desirable.
- Experience with the energy and utilities industry is a plus.
About the Company
At Energy Solutions we focus on achieving large-scale beneficial environmental impacts. And we believe that market-based programs can be a powerful force to deliver large-scale energy, carbon, and water-use savings. For 26 years we’ve harnessed that power to offer proven, performance-based solutions for our utility, government, and institutional customers.
Energy Solutions’ turnkey products accelerate energy efficiency; enable distributed energy resources; promote market development for beneficial products; and provide technical and policy support to set smart energy standards at the local, state, and national levels.
Because of our focus on the market, our innovative products scale quickly and often deliver the majority of our clients’ energy savings. How do we do it? We look at the market end-to-end to target the best new technologies, work with key partners in the supply chain for seamless adoption, and then help governments and our market partners set rules that require people to use these beneficial technologies. Why do we do it? Simply put, our market-based products deliver environmental and resource solutions that are better for business and better for society.