PFS INSTRUMENTATION SOFTWARE ENGINEER – ID# 221091
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
HILO, Hawaii, United States
Job TitlePFS INSTRUMENTATION SOFTWARE ENGINEER – ID# 221091
PFS INSTRUMENTATION SOFTWARE ENGINEER – ID# 221091.
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. Regular, Full-Time, RCUH Non-Civil Service position with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ), Subaru Telescope, located in Hilo, Hawai‘i. Continuation of employment is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable Federal/State laws.
MINIMUM MONTHLY SALARY: $4,553/Mon.
- Provides professional software engineering analysis, design, implementation, testing, and maintenance of software and computer systems for Prime Focus Spectrograph (PFS) and other astronomical instrumentation, processes, and related peripheral subsystems.
- Focuses on PFS software work as the project proceeds though commissioning to open-use, but may become involved with other NAOJ projects.
- Drives project vehicles to access summit sites.
- May be required to provide night time support for engineering and observing runs.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
PRIMARY QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION/TRAINING:
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university in Electrical, Software, or Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, or physical sciences.
Three to five (3-5) years of experience in the analysis, design, and production of Linux systems and applications software for the control of astronomical or other scientific or engineering instrumentation and processes.
- Proficiency in C/C++, Python, Java, and systems and application programming on Linux systems.
- Knowledge of the design, implementation, and maintenance of concurrent and network-distributed systems.
- Knowledge of implementation and maintenance of computer- controlled motion control systems.
- Knowledge of the administration of Linux computer systems, including configuration, tuning for performance, and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of computer communication protocols including Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and serial.
- Ability to analyze, define, design, implement, test, evaluate, and maintain complex software systems.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (and if use of personal vehicle on the job is required, must also have valid personal driver’s insurance equivalent to Hawai‘i’s No- Fault Driver’s Insurance) and maintain throughout the duration of employment.
- Must be able to drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle with manual transmission.
- Post Offer/Employment Condition: Must be able to work at 14,000 feet and pass a post offer high-altitude medical examination.
POLICY AND/OR REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS:
As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Science or Engineering.
- Experience with Linux device drivers for Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) connected peripherals.
- Experience with object-oriented design and distributed software development.
INQUIRIES: Masayo Nakajima 934-5058 (Hawai‘i).
Please apply directly on the RCUH website to be considered for the position.
Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on “Job Postings.” You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Supervisory References, 4) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s).
All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‘i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting. If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808)956-7262 or (808)956-0872.
CLOSING DATE: April 30, 2021.
RCUH’s mission is to support and enhance research, development and training in Hawai‘i, with a focus on the University of Hawai‘i.
Equal Opportunities Employer – Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran.