Senior Software Dev QA Engineer
Chicago, IL, United States
Job TitleSenior Software Dev QA Engineer
We are looking for a QA engineer with experience working with large-scale, distributed applications. Our monitoring system consists of a number of components, ranging from customer-facing web applications and REST APIs to backend systems for large-scale data collection, analysis and alerting. This provides plenty of challenges for quality assurance given the range and complexity of components that need to be tested.
In this role, you will:
- Plan and execute test cases for new product development; Working closely with our Product and Engineering teams, you will be involved in our ongoing software development process. We work in an agile fashion with quick iterations, so QA will be an active participant in our weekly development sprints, performing both manual and automated testing.
- Work with a wide range of software; We build and run on everything from mainframes to the cloud to mobile devices. We don’t do any desktop development, but touch most everything else, including significant web applications, streaming data processing, large-scale analytics and mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Work with Ops to get stuff out the door; We do releases multiple times per week, so you’ll work closely with our operations team to make sure that releases go out smoothly and continue to operate that way post-release.
- Design and expand automate testing infrastructure; Our Engineering team has built automated test cases for some parts of our system, but we are looking to expand the test coverage significantly in order to allow us to increase the pace and safety of ongoing development. We are looking to you to help set the structure for broader automated testing and work with the rest of our QA and Engineering team to populate test cases for new functionality.
- Collaborate with our Product team; You’ll interact on a daily basis with our product leads to explore new functionality, flesh out new ideas and help plan out future directions for our service.
Tools We Use:
- Python - The bulk of our infrastructure is built in Python, including web applications built on Flask, TurboGears and Tornado as well as lots of custom distributed applications that run our data collection and processing system.
- MySQL and InfluxDB - These two systems support our core customer/configuration and time series data.
- Kafka - We’re migrating core backend data processing systems to a streaming model using Kafka as our central messaging system.
- Google Cloud Platform - our SaaS service runs in Google’s cloud environment, making use of their managed services wherever possible. We also work closely with AWS and Azure for customer environments.
- Vue.js - Our main web applications make use of Vue to make interfaces as usable as possible for our customers.
- Ansible & Terraform - All packaging and deployment of our software is automated to support regular, streamlined releases.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Strong knowledge of software QA methods, tools and processes.
- Experience with manual and automated testing of large-scale, distributed systems. We have nodes around the world (50+ locations) and utilize parallel and concurrent principles heavily.
- Web application testing experience, manual and automated.
- Solid Linux experience, both for working with our internal infrastructure and our customer’s target environments. We mainly use Ubuntu for our internal systems, but also support RHEL, Solaris/AIX, BSD, CentOS, Windows and whatever else customers may need.
- Database experience, with both relational (MySQL) and non-relational/time series database systems.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced agile product development environment.
Bonus Points for:
- Familiarity with systems and network administration. You don’t need to be a sysadmin to be successful in this role, but most of our customers are; an understanding of how they work and think is valuable to delivering the best solutions for them.
- Mobile application QA experience with iPhone and/or Android is a plus, especially if you have worked with a hybrid app framework such as React Native or Ionic.
About the Company
From the start, the Fortinet vision has been to deliver broad, truly integrated, high-performance security across the IT infrastructure.
We provide top-rated network and content security, as well as secure access products that share intelligence and work together to form a cooperative fabric. Our unique security fabric combines purpose-built ASICs, an intuitive operating system, and applied threat intelligence to give you proven security, exceptional performance, and better visibility and control--while providing easier administration.
- Contact: Grace Leonard
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://edel.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX/requisitions/preview/3628/?keyword=3628