Open Source Engineer
Job TitleOpen Source Engineer
Open source technologies are one of the keys to speeding innovation for large and small businesses. Open source communities allow enterprises to take advantage of the collective power of individuals, partners, and global development communities.
Open source is a critical element of VMware strategy. VMware’s Open Source Program Office (OSPO) is the strategic approach to engage with open source and the Open Source Technology Center (OSTC) is its upstream engineering arm.
OSTC engineers have established presence and influence in leading-edge open source projects, making meaningful contributions for the good of the industry, promoting VMware standards for best practices in open source engagement with external communities and establishing VMware as an open source good citizen.
You are an experienced open source engineer who would like to be a part of a vibrant and collaborative community. You are motivated to make meaningful and innovative contributions that benefit everyone. You understand the challenges of a globally distributed team and how to navigate them. You are excited about contributing to efforts to secure the software supply chain, particularly for open source ecosystems.
This role will primarily be focused on contributions to open source secure software supply chain projects and their integrations. The team’s current focus is on The Update Framework (TUF) and its integration into the Python Package Index (PyPI). This role will interface closely with peers of all levels, both inside VMware and with contributors across various open source communities.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
- Experience with open source software development – engaging with, and making meaningful contributions to, open source projects.
- Strong Python skills.
- Coaching and mentoring peers and junior developers on open source development and core software engineering skills.
- Effective communication skills; as required for code review and written technical discussions, including advocating for a specific solution to a given problem in a geographically diverse set of contributors.
- Familiarity with software supply chain attacks.
- Conversant in software supply chain attacks and techniques for preventing and mitigating such compromises.
- Experience with the tenets of secure software development (including least privileged design, software lockdown, auditing, security monitoring).
About the Company
At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services, and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe.
At the core of what we do are our people, who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community.
- Compensation package - attractive salary, flexible bonus scheme, long-term incentives
- Personal career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, teams of worldwide IT professionals
- Healthy work environment – company-sponsored medical program, sports activities, open communication
- Work-life balance – generous time off programs, team events
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Power of Difference (PODs) - an array of communities where our global talent can find new connections and learn from others
- Contact: Velichka Atanasova
- E-mail contact: email@example.com
- Web: https://careers.vmware.com/main/jobs/R2100711?lang=en-us