Bioinformatics Scientist II
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA, US
Job TitleBioinformatics Scientist II
We are looking for a candidate who is interested in joining our Bioinformatics team. We help support the Division of Genomic Diagnostics Clinical Laboratory at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
This candidate will be part of the Bioinformatics team in the Division of Genomic Diagnostics at CHOP. The focus of the position is application of bioinformatics tools and methods to address problems and needs in genomic testing in a clinical se. The position allows for a wide variety of activities described within the job responsibilities and encompasses positions mainly within clinical environments. Activities occur with a moderate degree of supervision with some latitude for independent judgment, development of bioinformatics workflows and processes, and presentation of results for NGS-based clinical tests. The Bioinformatics Scientist II will begin to apply best practices in collaborative science as a bioinformatics domain expert. The Bioinformatics Scientist II is primarily focused on developing and validating frameworks and algorithms supporting clinical diagnostic tests as a bioinformatics domain expert.
We are seeking a suitable candidate with expertise in Bioinformatics best practices for clinical pipelines. Read more about this opportunity here: https://lnkd.in/eYEVxwe
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in biological or computational discipline.
- At least three (3) years of experience in applied bioinformatics, genomics, and computational work.
- Experience with management and analysis of complex data types.
- Experience with genomic/proteomic data analysis methods.
- Master’s or Doctorate Degree in biological or computational discipline
- Four (4) or more years of experience in applied bioinformatics, genomics, and computational work. This experience can be inclusive of a relevant PhD dissertation.
- Experience with Python, R, or other programming languages.
- Experience with machine learning and data modeling in genomics or related field
- Experience with bioinformatics workflow development frameworks (e.g. WDL, Cromwell)
- Experience or knowledge of technologies commonly used in biological labs, such as PCR, cloning, electrophoresis gels, and cell culture.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Strong UNIX/LINUX expertise required.
- Proficiency in Python or similar commonly used bioinformatics language required.
- Proficiency in various open source and commercial bioinformatics resources and software required.
- Knowledge of the working mechanism of microarray, NGS, mass spectrometry, or other high-throughput technologies and awareness of their strengths and weaknesses, as well as applicability to a specific biological problem is preferred.
- Familiarity with resources of genomic data sets and analysis tools, such as UCSC Genome Browser, Bioconductor, ENCODE, and NCBI databases is required.
- Ability to correctly select and perform statistical tests for most types of genomic data, and to properly interpret their results in the scenario of a specific study is preferred.
- Ability to interact with biologists and clinicians during a scientific discussion is required.
- Accountability and attention to timelines.
- Excellent organization and communication skills with an emphasis on strong presentation skills.
- Ability to independently plan and execute analyses of moderate complexity required.
- Ability to provide objective validation of results required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
About the Company
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is a children's hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with its primary campus located in the University City neighborhood of West Philadelphia next to the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. The hospital has 594 beds and more than 1 million outpatient and inpatient visits each year.