London, London, United Kingdom
Job TitleBackend Lead
We are looking for someone to lead the work on Memrise’s backend platform.
We are hoping for a productive, product-focused engineer who will provide technical direction for the backend systems that power Memrise.
As an experienced engineer you will work closely with Product Owners and client engineers to coordinate the delivery of complex projects. You will lead our migration to a service-oriented architecture. Our monolith has served us well, but we need to break things up so we can move faster and more reliably.
We are not looking for someone who has all the answers. We are seeking someone who listens to others, offers their own wisdom, and then rolls up their sleeves to do the work, bringing others along with them.
Our team values empathy for the people we work with and the community we work for. We support each other. We are purposeful in our actions and effective at collaboration.
At Memrise the Platform team is undergoing an exciting period of growth and we are hoping to add talented people across infrastructure, analytics and engineering this year.
This position is open as a remote position to anyone in the UK. Though the team is mostly based in London, we are committed to building a sustainable remote-first culture.
- No telecommuting
- No Agencies Please
In this role you’ll:
- Work with product engineering teams to design and implement new features in the Memrise apps
- Identify ways to improve the Memrise user experience by improving our backend code and then making it happen
- Provide technical leadership across all backend engineering, whether by mentoring, helping with breaking down larger projects, or providing design guidance
- Guide the creation of high quality technical designs for large projects
- Inspire and lift the teams around you, especially in regards to engineering best practices
- Influence technical direction and vision across the backend, including selections of technologies and architectural decisions
- Find strategic technical solutions for our strategic business problems
- Spend around 70% of your time doing hands-on development work, including writing code and reviewing pull requests
You might be a good fit if you have/are:
- Experience developing scalable, mission critical transactional systems using Python
- Excellent knowledge of modern testing practices
- Ability to get things done quickly and correctly even in unfamiliar areas
- Experience running and debugging production systems
- Excellent written communication skills, as evidenced in design documents, bug reports, code reviews and other forms
- Comfortable using Git and GitHub for day-to-day work
- Experience working with relational databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Excellent understanding of modern DevOps / SRE practices
- Experience on an on-call rota for a critical production system
- Experience working with AWS, GCP, or Azure services
- Experience developing services deployed as containers, ideally running on Kubernetes
Within 1 month you'll:
- Actively be contributing to our backend codebase
- Start to contribute to our infrastructure
Within 3 months you'll:
- Be on call for our backend systems
- Delivered at least one complete feature, improvement or integration
- Published an internal blog post or given an internal tech talk
- Made progress on a long-standing strategic issue
- Established good working relationships with other engineering teams and key stakeholders
Within 6 months you'll:
- Delivered a foundational improvement to our ways of working
- Fixed a long-standing issue that we have previously been unable to make progress on
Salary: £85,000 - £110,000
About the Company
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system with a growing user base of over 50 million. By leveraging lots of brain science and plenty of humour, we’re striving to enrich people’s consciousness and help people achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months.