Whitby et al LLC
Job TitleDeveloper Python/SciGraph/RDF
K-Core is an innovative project in neuroscience and physiology, and funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This project drives the assembly, querying and visualisation of knowledge about anatomical connections that control organs such as the heart, intestines, kidneys and lungs. Data about these connections are being generated and curated by SPARC, an international network of centres that focus on the study of the autonomic nervous system.
Your opportunity is to join Whitby et al (WEA), a computational biology start-up that, together with the FAIR Data Lab at University of California in San Diego, co-leads K-Core. WEA is focused on the development of knowledge models in physiology. Its core technology, ApiNATOMY, consists of a formal knowledge representation and associated tools to build connectivity maps across biological scales. WEA is now engaged in, and actively collaborates with, a number of NIH initiatives in biomedical FAIR data management and open science.
ApiNATOMY is being ported to UCSD’s SciCrunch, a data sharing and display platform, which was designed to help communities of researchers create their own portals to provide access to resources, databases and tools of relevance to their research areas.
You will work on assignments of moderate scope focused on the development, maintenance and documentation of functionalities for ApiNATOMY and SciCrunch. You will use professional bioinformatics concepts; apply computational procedures to resolve a variety of analysis and research issues; assist in additional analyses as needed to achieve R&D objectives.
- Telecommuting is OK
- Agencies are OK
The primary responsibilities of this position are to work on a small team to maintain, develop, and deploy an existing open source python (3.6+) code base.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining python codebases
- Demonstrated experience using and writing command line programs
- Demonstrated experience with git and be comfortable with a variety of git workflows
- Demonstrated ability to install, configure, and work in a Unix environment including shell scripting and coreutils
- Experience working with semantic web technologies, ontologies, or property graphs
- Demonstrated ability to engage in both verbal and written technical communication
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in identifying and solving problems, developing technical requirements from users and - converting technical requirements into a working implementation
- Experience or willingness to work as part of a remote team.
- Familiarity with databases and query languages such as SQL.
- Familiarity with SPARQL or Cypher, and associated libraries such as rdflib.
- Familiarity with developing cross platform, portable python codebases
- Familiarity with REST APIs, both use and development.
- Experience working with AWS.
- Experience maintaining production systems
- Experience contributing to open source projects.
- Familiarity with packaging and deploying code in virtualized or containerized environments.
- Familiarity with test driven development, or the design recipe.
About the Company
- Contact: Whitby et al
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://www.dice.com/jobs/detail/-/RTX1dd2db/6754571